Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Gold Coins

Two weeks after my 31st Birthday, I was still flying high off of the sweet, generous gift from my husband.  We made plans that week to go to our credit union & officially set up our adoption savings account, plus we had our first appointment with our adoption agency.  Needless to say, it was already a BIG week of adoption stuff happening. 

The day after our adoption meeting, I spoke to my mom on the phone & told her all the details.  How much things cost, a timeline of events, for I felt about the agency, etc.  She asked me towards the end our conversation, ‘so how much more do you think you need to get all of this preliminary stuff done?’  I responded, ‘I don’t know but I think it’s around $1,800.’  Not much else was said about finances & the conversation ended quickly after that.
 
The very next day, I rushed home from softball practice so we could see a movie but I wanted to check the mail first.  My sister told me earlier in the week that my belated birthday card would arrive any day & I had a feeling it would be there.  Sure enough, there was an envelope from my sister but underneath it was another card envelope that had my granny’s writing on it.  Since my Granny already sent me a birthday gift, & because it was made out to me & Kevin, I figured it was an anniversary card for us since that was coming up in a couple of weeks. 
 
I couldn’t take the suspense so I opened my Granny’s card first.  Have you ever had one of those moments when you are reading something but you’re not believing or comprehending what’s on the paper in front of you?  Well, I was having that moment!  There was a very simple greeting card enclosed but also tucked inside was a check for $1,800!  I started bawling my eyes out in the middle of our driveway & ran inside to tell Kevin.  (Thankfully none of our neighbors were around to witness this!)  He was in the living room playing guitar & as soon as he saw me he flipped out thinking something terrible had happened.  I couldn’t speak so I just shoved the card into his hands & he had nearly the same reaction as me.  We called Granny right away & after making sure no one put her up to this, she told us this story about where the money came from... 
 
Several weeks prior she mentioned to my dad that some items were just sitting in her safety deposit box.  One of these items were some gold coins that my Papa had purchased when my sister & I were little with the intent that we could sell them one day as a part of our inheritance.  My dad can be quite convincing when he wants to be, so he talked to her about pricing out the coins to see what he could get for them.  If they were offered a good price, then he’d sell them & split the profits between the two of us.  Obviously he was offered a great deal on them & they decided to sell. 
 
So while I was on the phone just one day prior to this, telling my mom how we needed $1,800 to get the process started, God provided & it was delivered the next day!
 
Before we made the official decision to adopt, we felt like we were in limbo.  We still clung to the dream of getting pregnant & miraculously having a child of our own.  We also struggled with other options (should we try an IUI, In Vitro, Eastern medicinal treatments...)  We just didn’t know which path to take.  Within weeks of us making the decision to move forward with adoption, God opened all of these doors to prove to us that not only is this dream possible but that it’s what He wants for our lives. 
 
After years of heartbreak & discouragement we FINALLY had a tangible hope on becoming parents. 
 
Thanks to all.
 
Brooke
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment