Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Merry Christmas!

Holidays are usually hard...well they have been for a few years now. You find happy moments, you learn to smile & schedule every waking moment with 'something' to make time slip by faster. It's how you cope.

This was a great holiday for us & I'm so lucky to share it with him. We started a movie marathon on Christmas Eve & stayed in our PJ's all day. Trevor & Blake came over for dinner. We laughed 'til we cried, ate too much food & all but fell asleep on the dining table.

It's moments like these that make our holidays special. It seems like a big production for 2 adults to sit around a tree & open presents. To watch Christmas cartoons that we've seen hundreds of times. But you do it because it's the holidays.

My dad said this would be the last quiet Christmas for us & I don't know if that's true. I can't allow myself to believe that, but it's a nice idea. I bought Kevin a little fortune-telling book of names & we flipped through each page. I gave him a DVD of An American Tail & he said, 'our kids will love to watch this some day.' We allow ourselves these little moments in moderation because our hopes have the tendency to get away from us.

I enjoyed seeing our family via Skype & got a laugh over our niece & nephew opening the presents we sent them. We'll have Christmas with them next month & it'll be awesome to see them in person.  I loved seeing friends & their children opening presents. First Christmases, new toys, snowmen & first bikes. Thank you for sharing these moments with us.

We annoyed everyone with photos of our Koola & Khloe because they're our kids & no one better argue with me. :) They kept us entertained all day.  For all of these moments, I'm thankful.

In one of my favorite Christmas films, Rosemary & Bing sing the words: 'When you can't sleep count your blessings instead of sheep.' That's what I'm doing now & it's therapeutic in ways I never imagined. I'm so grateful for Christmas & the ability to be in awe of something bigger than I am. I hope & pray that I can hold on to this spirit of thanksgiving throughout the coming months.

My hope is that you all have a wonderful holiday & an exciting new year. I hope that 2014 will be full of new experiences, fresh starts & wonderful memories. Kiss your spouse, hug your kids & have some fun. Don't take a single moment for granted.

Merry Christmas, friends!

Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment